South Pyongan is a province in the west of North Korea, although it is never named in game, simply referred to as the "Southern Province". The Southern Province is located south of the Northern Province and also incorporates the capital city of Pyongyang in Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. It is the first province the mercenary visits and features the Clubs and Diamonds as High Value Targets.
The Southern Province is located in central western North Korea. It is bordered to the north by the Northern Province and the south by Pyongyang. It features many mountainous regions around the perimeter, specifically the west and north-east, and large forested areas to the south-east which feature a prominent tunnel network used by the KPA. Unlike the Northern province there are no snowy areas.
The Southern Province contains the following locations:
- Pyongyang - The capital city of North Korea. East Pyongyang features the Headquarters of the Russian Mafia
- Demilitarized Zone - Headquarters of the Allied Nations.
- Kaesong - Headquarters of the South Korean Union.
- Pyongyang Airport - Headquarters of the People's Liberation Army.
- The Black Gate - North Korean fortress entrance.
- NK Fortress.
- Haeju - Large city, controlled by PLA.
- Ichon - Land and air military base.
- Nampo - North-western shipping city, controlled by PLA.
- Allied MASH - AN medical and medevac base.
- Sariwon - Small city.
- Propaganda Village - Faux village, controlled by PLA.
- NK Artillery Base.
- NK Base.
- This is the only province to feature a Supergun.