The Prototype Rifle is superior to the Carbine in many ways, such as the larger magazine size, the accuracy(although not by too much), and most importantly, the scope. Though the scope is incapable of being used with consistent fire, it can be used to enable a sniper rifle usage, as firing a single shot is akin to the Sniper Rifle - both in range and accuracy. However, do not rely on this weapon for long distances; although it is fairly accurate, it does not compare anywhere near as much as the other sniper rifles.
The supply drop containing the Prototype Rifle, called the "Advanced Supply Drop," is unlocked by collecting 40 of the 100 blueprints scattered around the maps. The Prototype Rifle can be found with only a few types of soldiers; members of the ROKA 707th Commando Unit carry them as well as some basic SKU soldier General Choi Song also uses it as his personal weapon. A solider in the the P.L.A.V HQ may wield this weapon.
The Prototype Rifle is heavily based on the Heckler and Koch G36. It may also be based on the MG36, a LSW variant of the G36 with a heavier barrel, meant to be used with drum magazines for suppresive fire. This weapon never made it past prototype phase, possibly explaining the "Prototype Rifle" moniker.
- The scope can actually be considered a drawback from the standard binoculars, as with it, firing in automatic will soon result in the player shooting into sky. Even in single shots, the power of the individual bullet is marginal unless a head shot is scored.
- Full automatic fire will cause this weapon to preform arguably worse than the carbine at long range, as its accuracy at range deteriorates.
- Try not to use this weapon with another scoped weapon, as the binoculars are handy for positively identifying potential hostiles as well as highlighting enemies and their locations. This drawback can be circumvented by drawing the C4 detonator.
- This is only available in the PS2 version of Mercenaries 2.
- There is no realistic way for 100 to fit in the magazine portrayed in-game, other than using micro-bullets arranged side-by-side. Otherwise, the rifle should be using a Beta-C magazine which chambers 100 rounds.
- The gun that the Prototype Rifle is based on - the G36 - is well past prototype stage. It is possible that the rifle is a prototype of the XM8, since the two weapons bear a certain aesthetic similarity. Alternatively, it might be a North Korean knockoff of the G36, due to the isolation of the country.